Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Becoming a cautious shopper

In the last 12 to 18 months, my interest toward the riding of vintage surfboards has increased dramatically. You will notice that I used the word "interest" and not the word "knowledge". :)  While I sometimes want to believe my knowledge level for 1960s & 70s boards is fair to midland, today I was reminded I still have a long way to go. I find it amazing how refined some boards were in the middle to later 1960s. My problem remains in the identification of said refinement and being able to decipher these specifics 2000 miles away via a photo on CL, Ebay, etc...  Is the board I am looking at the purely magic slider that I hope it will be. Or is it going to be a slow tippy canoe that I have no desire to ride. I think that today's lesson, along with the vintage board gathering I attended a few weeks ago, has me convinced that long distance board shopping will only lead me to disappointment and that a hands on, see it for myself approach would fit me much  mo' better.
 
My 9'2" Hannon - nice mid 60s board, just not much of a rider.
Glad it was a gift.

9'6" Bing that I almost bit on today.
A friend related that like the Hannon, it would likely disappoint...




How do you know this board is pure magic
by just seeing a photo???
(it is magic by the way)


$5.00  yard sale find 1986. It too was a dog of a rider.
But at least is was cheap! 

No comments:

Post a Comment